Sunday, January 9, 2011

AM Class 1 (Basic Foundations) - Week 1

The first week at AM is over and I have to say that it was an exciting week. It was pretty normal as far as first weeks go in that it was all about orientation and getting to know people.

I got assigned my mentor, Paul Allen. He's mentoring 15 other students besides me who are all in the same class (Basic Foundations). We all had our first online-live Q&A with him in which we got to meet him and say hello to each other via webcam. It was definitely a cool experience being up on cam in front of everyone and getting to meet them all face to face (so to speak). Paul seems like a really awesome guy and I look forward to getting to know him more and receiving his critiques on my work, and soaking up his vast animation knowledge.

As I said, this week was all about orientation and consisted of watching a lot of videos and exploring the website. I was actually quite impressed with how many videos there are explaining everything. They have general videos telling you how to view your lecture and assignments, ones on basic and intermediate Maya skills, videos about student's workflows, and even some student examples of things like walks and turns.

They also have a section on recommended reading, character downloads, and tool downloads. They different characters become available to download once they are required for an assignment, which means I probably won't get access to their famous Bishop rig until class 2 or 3. Maybe even class 4. As of right now the only character available is Stu, who is a simple biped with no face. I have to use him for my Week 2 assignment so hopefully I will post a picture of him then.

My assignment this week was simply to set up my school profile and upload a picture, so nothing exciting to talk about quite yet.

See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment